On Tuesday 30 August 2005 01:22 pm, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 12:06:29 -0400, Eric Crossman wrote:
> > While I agree that etc-update is a vast improvement over other package
> > systems, it would be nice to have a CVS type merge where I only have to
> > make choices when the "system can't figure it out". It seems like
> > etc-update (and friends) should be able to take advantage of mtime
> > metadata and md5 checksums to determine if I've made any modifications
> > to the default config file. That way an unmodified default config from
> > version N can just safely be replaced with the new default for version N
> > +1. Does this functionality already exist with the current etc-update?
>
> It exists as an option with dispatch-conf, as do options to automatically
> replace files if the only differences are whitespace and comments.

But, it does not automatically do an update if the original file has not
changed.  That would be a cool feature.  How often are files changed, for
example in /etc/init.d, but you have not changed that file?  I would love the
option to automatically update any configuration file that I did not change
from the original install.

Right on Eric!

                                Sean

--