On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 2:53 PM, Tanstaafl <tansta...@libertytrek.org> wrote:
> On 2013-02-07 12:53 PM, Peter Humphrey <pe...@humphrey.ukfsn.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Thursday 07 February 2013 17:40:39 Tanstaafl wrote:
>>
>>> So, since I have:

>>> I change the type tmpfs to devtmpfs... ok...
>>

>> I think that's a mistake (because I did it too!) - you only need to change
>> the tile type of a /dev line, not /dev/shm.
>

> Oh... well, glad I asked...
>
> Can anyone (a dev maybe) please confirm this?
>
> I think that a lot of people will misread that like I (we) did...

I believe he is correct and /dev/shm is irrelevant for this discussion.

The important thing to note is that entries for precisely /dev and
/proc don't need to be in fstab at all for most people if they are
using the standard gentoo openrc/udev combination. I have 3 gentoo
systems running latest ~amd64 openrc and udev and none have /dev or
/proc in fstab and all boot up just fine for me. Obviously if you are
experimenting with other init system or udev alternatives then YMMV
but those people are probably smart enough to figure it out for
themselves already. :)