On 08/03/2013 06:30, Pandu Poluan wrote:

> On Mar 8, 2013 5:27 AM, "Alan McKinnon" <alan.mckin...@gmail.com
> <mailto:alan.mckin...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> Anyone know if there's a way to get /etc/hosts to support the notion of
>> an include file? I did my homework and found nothing, maybe someone else
>> knows more.
>>
>> I really do need this, I have an app that discovers things on the
>> network and knows their address. This makes it's automated way into DNS
>> but takes a few days, and another app needs to use the fqdn right now.
>> So /etc/hosts is the way to go for the interim three days.
>>
>> I've worked around it by creating /etc/hosts.d/ containing a header and
>> a data file. cat the two and redirect to /etc/hosts.d/hosts and the real
>> hosts file is a symlink to that. It's a sub-directory as none of these
>> apps run as root and only root can modiy the real hosts file.
>>
>> This works well enough, but a supported include mechanism would make
>> life so much simpler, not to mention easier for my colleagues to
>> understand what the blazes I set up :-)
>>

>> --
>> Alan McKinnon
>> alan.mckin...@gmail.com <mailto:alan.mckin...@gmail.com>
>>

> An option would be to create a cron job which generates the hosts file
> every minute. The cron job should also insert a header on top of the
> hosts file telling:
>
> + this file (hosts) is dynamically generated
> + by a system cron job
> + the cron job's script location
>
> Besides, you said you're going to need this workaround only for a couple
> of days, so installing Samba4 might be an overkill.

I'm already doing something very much like that, I reckon I'll leave it
in place, and document it in the grand CYA tradition.

To be clear, it's not a temporary workaround - it's permanent. I do
network discovery every 12 hours and can find up to 7000 things on the
network, so now I know their hostname and address. This eventually makes
it's way into DNS, but DNS by design updates slowly and a second app (an
audit app) needs to resolve the names immediately. That's why hosts is
the perfect interim solution; in 3 days when the DNS update happens the
entry is removed from the hosts file.

Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com