050831 Mariusz P?kala wrote:
> On 2005-08-31 09:25:48 -0400 (Wed, Aug), Philip Webb wrote:
>> Is it still possible to boot into 'single' mode,
>> ie directly into a no-login root system (for emergencies) ?
>> The kernel dox suggest this should work in Lilo
>>
>>   image = /boot/kernel-2.6.9-gentoo-r1
>>         label = Single
>>         root = /dev/hda3
>>         append="S"
>>         read-only
>>
>> but it boots to a login prompt as usual.
>> Replacing 'S' with 'single' doesn't work either.
>> Does anyone have single mode set up satisfactorily ?
> Not tested but found in 'man init', section 'BOOTFLAGS':
>   -b, emergency
>      Boot directly into a single user shell without running any
>      other startup scripts.
> so try with append="emergency"

Yes, that does make progress: the start-up process suspends,
while you have a chance to enter the root password "for maintenance";
after that, you have to exit with 'exit', when the process resumes
(or you can enter  ^d  & it skips maintenance mode).
"maintenance mode" seems to be equivalent to booting as root, but ...

> The difference lies in that 'single' tells the init process to read and
> execute entries in /etc/inittab, while 'emergency' tells to not do it.

... presumably it stops just before looking at  inittab .

> You may also try with append="init=/bin/bash"
> or that nice rescue-shell which name just slipped out of my memory.

Do you mean Busybox ?

> /bin/sash maybe.

That got superseded IIRC.

Thanx for the advice.  Does anyone else have further light to throw ?

SUPPORT     ___________//___,  Philip Webb : [EMAIL PROTECTED]