On 2013-03-14, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Grant Edwards wrote:
>> On 2013-03-14, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I was wondering.  Has anyone ever seen where a test as been done to
>>> compare the speed of Gentoo with other distros?  Maybe Gentoo compared
>>> to Redhat, Mandrake, Ubuntu and such?
>> I just did a test, and they're all the same.
>>
>> CDs/DVDS of various distros dropped from a height of 1m all hit the
>> floor simultaneously
>> [...]
>> The point being, you're going to have to define "speed".

> OK.  It appears not very many can figure out what I asked for.  So,
> let me spell it out for those who are challenged.  LOL ;-) Read some
> humor into that OK.
>
> Install a OS.  Run tests on a set of programs and record the time it
> takes to complete a certain task.  More tasks the better.

The results are going to vary depending on what task(s) are chosen.

If app/library/compiler versions are the same, all of the results I've
read about show you're not going to see a noticable difference.  You
might be able to _measure_ a difference, but it's not something you'll
ever notice.

IOW, if you spend a few days tweaking CFLAGS, you might be able to
increase the number of FFTs per second you can run by a few percent
when compared to an off-the-shelf Ubuntu, RedHat, or Scientific Linux
install.  But, if that's what you care about, then using a better
library/algorithm or better hardware is what you do.

The advantage of Gentoo is ease of administration, ease of
customization, ease of getting non default/mainstream things installed
and working right.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! The entire CHINESE
                                  at               WOMEN'S VOLLEYBALL TEAM all