On 18/03/2013 12:14, Tanstaafl wrote:
> On 2013-03-18 4:18 AM,  (Nuno Silva) <nunojsi...@ist.utl.pt> wrote:
>> On 2013-03-17, Tanstaafl wrote:
>>> Ah, ok... but as for the rest... I should be able to safely upgrade
>>> udev, with a reasonable (I know there are no guarantees) expectation
>>> of everything 'just working' (ie, my lvm managed /usr partition
>>> shouldn't be an issue like it would have been earlier on in this
>>> process)?
>
>> From what I know (no LVM experience here), if you had it working with
>> 171, it will work with a newer udev. There were no changes regarding how
>> stuff from /usr is used between 171 and the newer udevs.
>
> Well, there were 'big scary warnings'(tm) a while back that screamed of
> major breakage with the newer udevs for those poor lost souls who had
> /usr on a separate partiton (lvm managed or not), then, at some later
> point, I guess because of the 'wailing and gnashing of teeth'(tm), the
> devs relented and changed things so that a separate /usr was supported
> except under certain specific circumstances... but since I'm not a
> programmer, I didn't (and still don't) understand most of it, hence my
> asking for confirmation here...
>
> My system is fairly simple, all local storage, with only /usr, /var and
> /home on separate lvm managed partitions (root is *not* on lvm)...
>
> So, I'm here asking if anyone who had waited (masked everything above
> 171) has unmasked it and updated since, and whether or not they had any
> problems booting afterwards...

No issues here. I have a variety of systems with different configs. I
followed the elog and news messages:

DEVTMPFS enable in kernel
edit fs type for /dev IF listed in fstab
Remove all those persistent-rules files
remove udev-postmount from runlevels

and every time it all worked out find.

The one case I don't have is / in lvm or code in /usr needed at
early-start time; I think that was the key thing and nicely side-stepped
any possible lurking issues

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com