On Sat, Mar 23, 2013 at 03:06:05PM -0400, Mike Gilbert wrote
> On Sat, Mar 23, 2013 at 1:42 PM, Dan Johansson <dan.johans...@dmj.nu> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Some of my servers are running with a kernel without module-support.
> > On these servers something has started to pull in sys-apps/kmod, which when
> > compiled complains about missing modules-support in the kernel (as it
> > should).
> > Doing an "equery d sys-apps/kmod" I can see that the following two packages
> > depends on sy-apps/kmod:
> > sys-fs/udev-197-r8 (kmod ? >=sys-apps/kmod-12)
> > virtual/modutils-0 (sys-apps/kmod[tools])
> >
> > sys-fs/udev has "-kmod" in its USE-flags, so that should not be an issue).
> > # emerge --verbose --pretend sys-fs/udev
> > [ebuild   R    ] sys-fs/udev-197-r8  USE="acl openrc -doc -gudev -hwdb
> > -introspection -keymap -kmod (-selinux) -static-libs" 0 kB
> >
> > With virtual/modutils its an other thing, here we have a circular
> > dependency between virtual/modutils and sys-apps/kmod if the tools USE-flag
> > is set.
>
> That circular dep is interesting; sys-apps/kmod only depends on
> virtual/modutils because it inherits linux-mod.eclass.
>
> Could you file about about the circular dependency please?

  I hesitated to file a bug, because my desktop is running mdev instead
of udev (just fine thank, you), and it might not be supported.  I've
removed module-init-tools.  I have virtual/modutils-0 and
sys-apps/kmod-12-r1 installed.  Here's what happens...

[d531][waltdnes][~] emerge -pv1 virtual/modutils

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R    ] virtual/modutils-0  0 kB

[d531][waltdnes][~] emerge -pv1 sys-apps/modutils

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild  N     ] sys-apps/modutils-2.4.27-r1  0 kB
[uninstall     ] sys-apps/kmod-12-r1  USE="tools zlib -debug -doc -lzma
-static-libs"
[blocks b      ] sys-apps/modutils ("sys-apps/modutils" is blocking
sys-apps/kmod-12-r1)
[blocks b      ] sys-apps/kmod ("sys-apps/kmod" is blocking
sys-apps/modutils-2.4.27-r1)

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>