On 24-Mar-13 17:46, Neil Bothwick wrote:
On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 17:26:03 +0100, Jarry wrote:

[ebuild  N     ] sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.7.10:3.7.10  USE="-build
-deblob -symlink" 68,335 kB
[ebuild  N     ] virtual/linux-sources-0  0 kB
[ebuild   R    ] sys-apps/kmod-12-r1  USE="tools zlib -debug -doc -lzma
-static-libs" KERNEL="(linux%*)" 0 kB

Why in the heavens name should be gentoo-sources pulled in as
dependency of whatever?

As a dependency of virtual-sources, which is probably pulled in by kmod.
Adding --tree would have told you for sure.

You may get away with adding gentoo-sources to package.provided.

Thanks, this works (never heard of this file before). But there
is one small problem: no wildcards are allowed, so whenever new
sorces come I'll have to edit package.provided again, and again...

BTW why should kmod depend on kernel-sources? Or even better, why
should be kmod installed, if I have static (non-modular) kernel?

Jarry