Michael Sullivan wrote:
> I am having trouble with /etc/init.d/mysql.  I rebooted my system, and
> when it finished rebooting I tried to connect to the mysql daemon and
> failed.  I looked in /var/log/mysql:  There was a file there called
> mysql.err.  The contents were:
>
> 050831 15:47:29  mysqld started
> 050831 15:47:30 Can't start server: Bind on TCP/IP port: Address already
> in use
> 050831 15:47:30 Do you already have another mysqld server running on
> port: 3306 ?
> 050831 15:47:30 Aborting
>
> 050831 15:47:30 /usr/sbin/mysqld: Shutdown Complete
>
> 050831 15:47:30  mysqld ended

check the output of ps aux
look for mysqld processes in the list - if it is running then try
killing the mysqld processes or restarting the machine

> I tried netstat | grep '3306':
>
> bullet mysql # netstat | grep '3306'
> bullet mysql #

netstat -n | grep 3306

or

netstat | grep mysql

might be better

> The output was blank, so I assume that port 3306 is NOT in use.  Any
> ideas?

Do you have something else that could be using the port - a rootkit or
someone else running a service on the box?

--
Tim Igoe
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Computers are like Air-con, open windows and they stop working!"