On 03/28/2013 03:11 PM, Stroller wrote:

> The search I made before posting led me the wikipedia article which
> mentioned, for example, using thick and thin client models.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whois#Thin_and_thick_lookups
>
> One might assume, for example, that a thin client might tend to give
> more accurate and up-to-date information, but of course there's also
> the issue that the whois server for the domain might move. Thus the
> client might need to be updated in a timely manner, too.

The thin model sort of works like DNS, except everything is unstructured
and totally made-up on the server side and guessed-at on the client
side. The clients are trying to parse the unstructured output, like you
would if you were trying to screen scrape a webpage. As of ten seconds
ago, this is what I get for a lookup of orlitzky.com:

  Domain Name: ORLITZKY.COM
  Registrar: GANDI SAS
  Whois Server: whois.gandi.net
  Referral URL: http://www.gandi.net

The "Whois Server:" for the domain is something like an NS record, where
the guy higher up points you at the next level down. If the whois server
for the domain changed, you wouldn't need to update the client -- you
could just ask the top-level server for it again. What *would* make you
update the client is if, say, that top-level server started outputting a
space between "Server" and ":".