On 9/1/05, Matt Garman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Before this gets into a flame war, let's just operate under the
assertion that the "best" window manager/desktop environment is
strictly a matter of personal preference.

So, having said that, what window manager do you use, and why?

I was in the same position as you a couple of years ago.  I tried various WM's and wasn't sure which one to stick with.  I came up with the following.  I used Gnome for a long time, however about six months ago I switched to KDE permantly.  I do miss certian things about gnome (like better integration with D-Bus and automounting hardware), and despite the fact that I primarly program with wxWidgets and not Qt.. I still have found KDE to be the most usefull to me.  I think the big change for me was when Gentoo started the split KDE ebuild's so I don't have to have a huge monolithic KDE install anymore.  Just the basics and some stuff that I acctualy use.  KDE is no longer a hardware/cpu hog and doesn't take much more resources than Fluxbox.  However I still use fluxbox if I am going to run a game such as AA.

--
Steve B.