On 03/31/2013 07:12 PM, walt wrote:
> Any of you admin types out there have any grumpy thoughts about this
> article? :)  Is it really just marketing BS from cloudflare, or is it
> solid stuff?
>
> http://blog.cloudflare.com/the-ddos-that-almost-broke-the-internet

Can't tell one way or another. Certainly the bulk of the events
described are true. Certainly, it's in CF's interest to describe how
they're thwarting a massive DDOS.

And, certainly, they'd lose virtually all credibility if they were
blowing smoke. Lose credibility, and they'd lose a ton of business.

Frankly, I'm *inclined* to believe their description of events on that
basis alone. But that's not absolute.

It's also worth noting who they're protecting, and who the aggressor is.
The organization they're protecting is a high-profile target. The
organization they're protecting against is one whose businesses are
heavily impacted by the latter, *and* who don't share a positive
reputation among most.

That said, when someone in here linked to a spamhaus page a few days
ago, my local CloudFlare cache didn't have a copy of it, so I suspect
spamhaus hasn't been weathering the storm particularly well.

I'm also using CloudFlare for my site (they have a free tier which is
frankly wonderful), and I've observed that whatever means I put in place
to protect myself through them, it's not possible to get 100% coverage;
for CF to work for you, you need to have a public IP address their
servers can query. So long as you have a public IP address, you can be
targeted; it's just a matter of discovering what that IP is. That IP
could be discovered any of a variety of ways, particularly if someone is
able to induce your server to send data outbound. (i.e. an email where
the origin exists in the message headers.)

For at least a couple weeks now, I've been a direct target of some kind
of attack by someone who holds some kind of weird grudge. Originally, it
was a simple SYN flood, but it's lately taken to be a flood of RST
packets claiming to be from a particular CloudFlare IP; the attacker is
trying to disrupt service by terminating proxied connections.

Anyway, if you don't need SSL, I highly recommend CloudFlare's free
tier. If you do need SSL, they have tiers which support that...but I
don't have a budget to spend on it. (OTOH, it's nice enough that my
average page load times have plummeted...and I now have a free global
proxy cache network, despite my only having one backend server...)