On Sun, Apr 07, 2013 at 07:42:23PM +0200, Michael Hampicke wrote:

> Mike is right, if it's not a dep of another ebuild, you don't need
> wpa_supplicant. I just upgraded udev to 200 on the last remote box
> (which is always a bit of a thrill after typing reboot <return> :-) ).
> As expected, eth0 came up, everything works fine, wpa_supplicant is not
> installed.

Don't know what you guys do for rebooting a headless server blindly like this,
nor if it would work for the udev/NIC situation. But fwiw, what I've always
done for new kernels is:

mingdao@server ~ $ egrep -v "(^#|^ *$)" /etc/lilo.conf
compact
lba32
default = Gentoo-def
boot = /dev/md0
raid-extra-boot = mbr-only
map = /boot/.map
install = /boot/boot-menu.b   # Note that for lilo-22.5.5 or later you
                              # do not need boot-{text,menu,bmp}.b in
                              # /boot, as they are linked into the lilo
                              # binary.
menu-scheme=Wb
prompt
timeout=50
append="panic=10 nomce dolvm domdadm rootfstype=xfs"
image = /boot/vmlinuz
        root = /dev/md0
        label = Gentoo
        read-only  # Partitions should be mounted read-only for checking
image = /boot/vmlinuz.old
        root = /dev/md0
        label = Gentoo-def
        read-only  # Partitions should be mounted read-only for checking

Then issue "lilo -R Gentoo" or whatever the label of your new kernel, and if
it boots, you're okay. If not, after 10 seconds of panic, it automatically
reboots back into the default kernel and you can check logs to see what you've
broken. (panic=10 append statement and default = Gentoo-def) After you know
the new kernel works, comment the default line. (NB: You can name them
differently, etc. It just helps to know before you reboot that if you panic,
the machine will boot back into the known, good, kernel.)

Granted, this might not help with the udev/NIC situation, but it's saved me
from a few PEBKAC situations, as well as new kernel changes I'd not learned
until the reboot.
--
Happy Penguin Computers               >')
126 Fenco Drive                       ( \