> Another question. Can the installation of PulseAudio and Jack
> coexist? Doable or a constant nightmare?

There seems to be a a package to allow pulse to utilise jack. However
if you are using jack for the high quality audio benefit then
apparently you have to kill pulseaudio even if it means making a dummy
package on binary distros to fool the system into thinking it is
installed and so not removing lots.

I suggested he use Gentoo but I think he saw it as too much work.

universal interface'

(Doug McIlroy)