Thanks for the reply Alan...

On 2013-04-20 11:33 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com> wrote:
If VMWare gives you a really shitty host driver, then something
really shitty is going to be the best you can achieve.

The host is a Dell R515 with the Perc H700.

Windows VMs see get an 'LSI Logic SAS', and my gentoo VM gets an 'LSI Logic Parallel' controller.

All disks are 15k rpm SAS (6G) drives.

Disks aren't like eg NICs, you can't easily virtualize them and give the
guest exclusive access in the style of para-virtualization (I can't
imagine how that would even be done).

You also didn't mention what mail server you use - implementations vary
a great deal. Gut feel tells me that unless you are dealing with many
1000s of mails in a short period you won't really need XFS's aggressive
caching.

Postfix+dovecot, still debating between maildir or mdbox, leaning toward mdbox.