Am 21.04.2013 15:10, schrieb Canek Peláez Valdés:
> On Sun, Apr 21, 2013 at 6:47 AM, Stefan G. Weichinger <li...@xunil.at> wrote:
>>
>> greetings ...
>>
>> for some days now I fiddle around with an issue on my ~amd64 thinkpad.
>
> [snip]
>
> I had a really weird problem that, perhaps, it has something to do
> with yours. After reading this:
>
> http://notes.torrez.org/2013/04/put-a-burger-in-your-shell.html
>
> I thought "hey, that's a cool idea", so I put a unicode character in
> my PS1 environment variable. Afterwards, I was unnable to log into
> GNOME; it took me several hours to link the PS1 variable to the
> problem, since I did the change inside of GNOME, and I didn't logout
> until I upgraded.
>
> I removed the PS1 override, and everything just worked again.
>
> So, just to discard this particular case, you should check your
> environment variables.

hmm, thanks for the suggestion.

$ echo $PS1
\[\033[01;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[01;34m\] \w \$\[\033[00m\]

-> some colored but not too fancy prompt, I assume.

And I haven't changed this prompt for months or years, I assume.
Additionally this is the same prompt on my desktop, so I think we can
exclude this.

When I read through the output of "env" ... nothing really stands out .