On 2013-04-23 12:34 PM, Florian Philipp <li...@binarywings.net> wrote:
Am 23.04.2013 16:44, schrieb Tanstaafl:
/boot (ext2), 100M
/swap, 2G
/ (ext4), 40G

then on LVM

/tmp (ext2), 5G? <- how big?
/var/tmp (ext2), 5G? <- how big?

If this is a production server I wouldn't use ext2. In the case of a
crash or reboot, you don't want to loose precious uptime just because of
fsck or corrupted file systems.

Noted, changed these to ext4...

/var/log (ext4) <- size? should I even have this separate?

Doesn't need to be separate but could prevent a runaway process from
filling /var just because it is spamming log entries. Could also be
achieved with quotas.

Filling up due to runaway logging is why I wanted this on a separate partition, and I prefer this to quotas...

One question... I have some MySQL databases running on this system too,
for my userdbs, and on the new server, SOGo (groupware)...

Is it recommended to incorporate scripts to perform dumps of the dbs, or
is the lvm snapshot reliable enough for backing these up in their raw
state?

Restoring from lvm snapshot is like restoring after a black out or
similar crash. Having proper dumps is always a good idea.

The snapshots are strictly transient, created/dropped during rsnapshot backups...

I think I will schedule a cronjob for sql dumps too, for an extra backup/restore option...

Hope this helps,

Very much, thanks Florian!