On 25.04.2013 18:26, gottl...@nyu.edu wrote:
I get the following in /var/log/messages

EXT3-fs (sda5): error: couldn't mount because of unsupported optional features
(240)
EXT4-fs (sda5): couldn't mount as ext2 due to feature incompatibilities
EXT4-fs (sda5): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts: (null)

Here is the entry in fstab

/dev/sda5           /           ext4    noatime,discard      0 1

I am having no difficulty, but seeing the first (error) message every
day in logwatch is annoying.

Since all my fs are ext4 I could remove ext3 support from the kernel
(3.5.4).  Is that the recommended procedure?

Yes, it is. Moreover, it is due to the ext3 legacy code that you are getting the EXT3 error (the first one) in /var/log/messages. Even if you remove ext3 legacy support from kernel, the ext2 and ext3 filesystems will be handled by the "new" ext4 code. As for the EXT4-fs message, probably it tries to mount the fs as ext2 first but it is not quite consistent for different fs, I'm getting it on some but not getting on others.

thanks,
allan

--
Best wishes,