> >> Of course from many threads from a pro audio user called Ralf, Gentoo
> >> users and so a fraction of Linux users are the only ones lucky enough
> >> to be able to do that *easily* whilst keeping packages they want,
> >> especially Gnome ones!
> >
> > I"m not a gnome user as of yet, but I can tell you that the day is
> > coming (Gnome 3.8 I believe) when gnome will not work without PA, so you
> > will have to install it if you want newer Gnome.
> >
> > William
> >

> That's true, gnome3.8 will require you to install pulseaudio-2

Are you sure, I know there have been a couple of times in the past
where Gnome has leaned towards Linux only but they have always steered
clear eventually. I know of one guy who runs a network of hundreds of
Gnome/OpenBSD machines that may wish to know about that as I think he
is already getting fed up with the increasing amount of code he has to
write in order to keep the port working.

universal interface'

(Doug McIlroy)