On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 7:56 PM,  <cov...@ccs.covici.com> wrote:
> Hi.  I have not used pulseaudio at all, but with gnome 3.8 I guess it
> must be there, but when I try to play a sound using either mplayer from
> the console which works fine withalsa, or even aplay, I get no sound
> unless I change the /etc/pulse/client.conf to spawn=no .

Unless you have a very specific setup, you should not need to touch
the files under /etc/pulse. Also, are you trying to run the
system-wide PulseAudio service? Because that's basically wrong:

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/PulseAudio/Documentation/User/WhatIsWrongWithSystemWide

> Anyway to fix this?

If you are running PA as a normal user (as you should), then perhaps
the per-application volume for MPlayer is muted. While playing
something with MPlayer, go to Settings -> Sound, then select the
Applications tab, and there should be a volume slider for all the
applications using audio. Just adjust as necessary.

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México