Peter Ruskin schreef:
> On Friday 02 September 2005 00:21, Holly Bostick wrote:
>
>> Peter, why does running this command give me the following output:
>>
>> emerge -v $(equery b /lib/modules | sed -e 's:^:>=:' ) !!! No
>> command or unknown command given
>> _______________
>>
>> cfg-update 1.7.1 : Building checksum index... (takes a few seconds)
>>  done!
>> _______________
>>
>> !!! Error: -, is an invalid short action or option.
>>
>> ??
>>
>> I don't know enough about scripting to 'debug' it, but I do know I
>> don't see any loose '-' that is meant to precede an option (but
>> does not).
>>
>> So I really don't know what the error is trying to tell me. Am I
>> missing some essential piece of the puzzle (I certainly have both
>> equery and sed)?
>

> That beats me Holly.  I always run that line at the end of my
> build-kernel script.  Try running it with -p like this:
>
> $ emerge -vp $(equery b /lib/modules | sed -e 's:^:>=:' )
>
> These are the packages that I would merge, in order:
>
> Calculating dependencies ...done! [ebuild   R   ]
> media-video/nvidia-kernel-1.0.7676  0 kB [ebuild   R   ]
> net-fs/shfs-0.35-r1  -amd +doc 0 kB
>
> Total size of downloads: 0 kB

Same error, but I figured it out (my mistake, of course). It's so dumb,
I don't even want to tell you what I did (or didn't yet do, more
precisely), but I will say that the key was your explanation of when you
run this command.

Sorry for the noise, at least I've learned something --or been reminded,
yet again, that the kernel is very picky about when you access its
source, and also very knowledgeable about the state of the source when
you attempt to access it.

Two DUH!s in two days. I'm definitely overextending myself :) .

Holly