On 2013-05-07 6:08 PM, William Kenworthy <bi...@iinet.net.au> wrote:
On 08/05/13 00:47, Tanstaafl wrote:
Also, I have rkhunter running on the same machine (job is in
/etc/cron.daily, instead of the root crontab), which generates its own
emails, and those have the correct time on them (header time matches
what is in the log).

Try googling "email header analysis" and drop the headers on one of the
sites for an analysis - helped me track down delays in a mailserver
chain in the past, but I cant remember which one I used.

Thanks for trying, but that isn't the problem. The mail is delivered instantly - it's just the timestamp in the CLIENT-SET header is off by one hour.

Meaning... it shows up at 8:30am in my inbox, but the time displayed by my mua for that email is 7:30am. The headers containing the lines showing when it was actually received by the server also clearly show that it was generated and delivered at 8:30am, not 7:30am.

The same exact thing happens if the date/time on someone's computer is off...

Set your date/time on your computer to be 1 hour behind.

Using Thunderbird, send yourself an email.

Note that the email is displayed with the 1 hour old date/time, and is sorted/displayed in your inbox as if it was delivered 1 hour ago, even though you just saw it delivered moments ago, and the headers clearly reflect that it was really delivered moments ago.

Of course, any mua that uses the actual received date from the server will show it in the correct order, but Thunderbird doesn't do that by default.

Maybe that was clearer.

This is simply a cosmetic problem. Somehow, cron is setting a header with the time one hour in the past.