On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 01:18:00 -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:

> >    I'm setting up the same thing, although I used the 64-bit Gentoo
> > install CD. Why are you using 32-bit?
>
>   I did some RTFM, and it appears that emerging 32-bit apps requires a
> bit of a hassle.  You basically have to install a 32-bit chroot
> environment, which you drop into to do the 32-bit emerges.  What apps
> would you want to emerge 32-bit, you ask?  Here's a partial list, off
> the top of my head, of what you lose if you go 64-bit-only...
>   - OpenOffice does not build in 64-bit mode.

No, but openoffice-bin works fine on AMD64, and the latest OOo is only
available as a binary package anyway.

>   - 32-bit plugins for your web-browser of choice

True.

>   - kiss "internet TV" goodbye, because...
>     - RealPlayer is distributed as a 32-bit app

Which works in a 64 bit environment.

>   The "final straw" for me was that LILO is masked out for 64 bits, and
> GRUB is the only available bootloader.  GRUB seems to have been
> afflicted by Microsoft-featureitis disease.  It's got a whole lot of
> additional complexity, which allows it to display an image of Clippy (or
> Tux) at bootup.  Come-on guys; people need a *BOOTLOADER*, not a
> singing/dancing penguin or paperclip, at bootup.

So don't use that option, in the same way you don't use the equivalent
option in LILO. Like it or not, some people don't want to look at a bunch
of text when their computer boots, it scares or bores them. such an
option may not be for you but others do want it, which is why both
bootloaders have it.

--
Neil Bothwick

Top Oxymorons Number 32: Living dead