On Wed, June 26, 2013 10:17, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On 26/06/2013 08:32, J. Roeleveld wrote:
>>> I sort of just keep loading it up till I run out of things to leave
>>> RAM
>>> corporate
>> Can you give me the full speclist of your machine with the part-numbers?
>> I am checking if a new machine will fit my budget and your workload
>> looks
>> similar to mine :)
>
> It's a Dell Precision M4600, and you find it in the Workstation section
> on Dell's website. It's since been superceded by the M4700 which is
> really just a point upgrade.
>
> CPU:
> processor       : 0
> vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
> cpu family      : 6
> model           : 42
> model name      : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2720QM CPU @ 2.20GHz
>
> cpu prices vary hugely so I picked a mid-range i7 and used the saving to
> get 16G ram and maxed out the storage.
> ATI display to get away from nVidia, I think that was a mistake and next
> time will be going back to nVidia whose power management actually works.
> There was some uber-fancy active display on offer too, but I don't need
> that
>
> Battery life is shocking :-), make sure you get 9-cell high capacity
> batteries, my standard 6 cell has *<60 minutes* life. The wife has one
> too and her's lasts about 100 minutes using Windows

I tend to use a desktop at home and the only personal "laptop" is an Asus
EEE901 (with 16GB SSD)
Other laptops in the house are provided by my employer and customers.

> Cost was ZAR 20k, I don't know if that means anything to you, it's hard
> to relate ZA prices with price of living in EU

20k Rand = 1.5k Euro. Sounds about right for a performing laptop.

The price of living in EU depends a lot on which country you live in.
Problem is, the wages don't always match the cost properly.

>> The *need* versus *want* is always important to keep in mind.
>
> My employer is generous with laptop allowance and long ago stopped
> trying to tell those two apart :-)

That sounds familiar for larger corporations in S.A. :)