On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 12:32:04AM +0100, Stroller wrote

> I'm pretty sure that setting USE="-*" creates just as much work,
> on average, if not more.
>
> You have just shifted the work from occasionally having to set -ipv6
> (and similar) in your make.conf, to regularly having to add +mp3
> +jpeg +vlc +minimal every time you emerge a new package.

  I said I *START* the USE variable with "-*".  Here's my USE setup...

USECPU="mmx mmxext sse sse2 sse3 ssse3"
USEOTHER=" X a52 aac bzip2 cxx dga dri exif ffmpeg flac fortran gallium gif
intel jpeg mng mp3 mpeg ncurses nptl nptlonly nsplugin offensive ogg opengl
openrc png posix readline ssl theora threads tiff tools truetype vim-syntax
vorbis xcomposite webm x264 xpm xv xvid zlib"
USE="-* ${USECPU} ${USEOTHER}"

  In /etc/portage/package.use I have the following, much of which I
would need regardless of the "-*" USE flag...

app-misc/mc -X
dev-lang/python xml
dev-libs/libxml2 python
games-emulation/dosbox alsa
mail-mta/ssmtp mta
media-gfx/ufraw gimp
media-libs/libsdl alsa audio joystick video
media-libs/libtheora encode
media-libs/mesa classic egl shared-glapi xorg
media-video/mplayer alsa iconv quicktime rtmp
sys-fs/eudev kmod
x11-libs/cairo glib svg
x11-wm/icewm imlib
x11-base/xorg-server suid xorg
x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel sna
x11-libs/libdrm libkms
www-client/midori deprecated
www-client/w3m -X -imlib
www-plugins/adobe-flash 64bit

# Firefox-specific
dev-lang/python sqlite
media-libs/libpng apng
dev-db/sqlite extensions

  I select the flags that I want/need.  When I have to add a flag to
package.use, I check whether that flag shows up multiple times.  If so,
I consider moving it to USE in make.conf.  Recently I did try an install
without "-*" under the default amd64 no-multilib profile (*NOT* the
"desktop" profile).  Only part way through, I already had a larger USE
and package.use to exclude flags I don't want/need.  For me, starting
USE with "-*" and adding additional necessary stuff in USE and
package.use is simpler than not starting USE with "-*".

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>