On 15/07/2013 18:44, András Csányi wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I would like to get some help regarding networkmanager and KDE.
>
> I have installed the networkmanager package on my machine and I also
> have networkmanagement kde application installed. My problem is that
> as a user I'm not able to abb network connection using network manager
> in kde. There is no way to run this application as root and I'm not
> able to login as root into KDE.
>
> At the moment I don't have any network connection on that machine. If
> I want it then I have to remove networkmanager package and let the
> rc-process to handle the networks.
>
> Is there a place where that is described how possible to solve this
> issue? Is there a tutorial about networkmanager where the
> configuration is described or something like this? What right is
> needed or something? I have googled a few hours but I haven't found
> anything.
>
> I appreciate your help!

unmerge nm and everything associated with it.
Comment out all lines in /etc/conf.d/net

emerge wicd with the USE flags of your choice.

All your problems will instantly go away, stay away, and wicd will do
the right thing always for networking. I promise.

networkmanager is a horribly broken piece of shit that per user reports
never seems to actually work for people. You should not use software
like that.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com