On 2013-07-31 11:20 AM, Canek Peláez Valdés <can...@gmail.com> wrote:
If you don't use the systemd USE flag (and never install anything that
depends on systemd), you will not get systemd installed, but many
packages will install systemd unit files in /urs/lib/systemd/system.
This unit files are little non-executable files which do nothing in
your system, but some people feel really strongly about having
anything in their machines with *systemd* in its path. If you want to
exorcise those unit files, add /usr/lib/systemd/system to
INSTALL_MASK.

Ok, thanks Canek... but my last question remains... if this really is going to be the only and one true way to opt out of systemd, shouldn't this be well documented in the man page, as opposed to just generic references to masking 'files'...?

It's the exact same situation with OpenRC: those of us who install
systemd don't want nor need the files in /etc/init.d, but they get
installed anyway. If we want to exorcise OpenRC init scripts from our
systems, we need to add /etc/init.d to INSTALL_MASK.

And so *both* should be fully documented in the man page...

For the record, I now think it's a waste of time trying to stop the
installation of tiny files that basically do nothing, either in
/usr/lib/systemd/system or in /etc/init.d, but you have the option if
you so desire.

Ok, and thanks again...