On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 9:59 PM,  <gottl...@nyu.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 05 2013, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 8:26 PM,  <gottl...@nyu.edu> wrote:
>>> (I brought an old system upto the state of my real one and am trying to
>>> follow the wiki for converting to systemd).
>>>
>>> I am upto the part where the wiki says
>>>
>>>    emerge --ask systemd
>>>
>>> I believe the wiki left out unmerging or something since the emerge
>>> gives conflicts (as expected).
>>>
>>> What must I unmerge?
>>>
>>> The emerge --ask systemd, specifically mentions a conflict with
>>> consolekit, which it states is pulled in by polkit and pambase.
>>>
>>> I tried adding these last three to package.mask hoping that the emerge
>>> would propose uninstalling them while installing systemd, but that
>>> didn't happen.
>>>
>>> What is/are the step(s) I am missing.
>>
>> If you already compiled everything with USE=-consolekit, just
>> uninstall consolekit. Otherwise, first set -consolekit in your USE
>> flags, emerge --newuse world, and then uninstall it.
>
> That is it. I never set USE=-consolekit.  If it is in the wiki, I missed
> it.  Thanks.
>
>> logind (included with systemd) provides all the functionality that
>> consolekit provided, and more. They cannot be installed at the same
>> time (hence the block).
>>
>> Be aware, if you had some packages with USE=consolekit (pambase and
>> polkit in particular), you cannot use GDM nor GNOME after you
>> uninstall it and until you install systemd and reboot with it.
>
> I don't understand this last point.  You said that I should
> 1.  set USE="-consolekit ..."
> 2.  emerge --newuse world
> 3.  unmerge consolekit
> Since I do steps 1 and 2 before 3, by the time I get to uninstalling
> consolekit, I can be sure that neither pambase and polkit (nor anything
> else) will not be installed with USE=consolekit.  So I don't see how
> your last sentence can apply.

Mmmh. You are missing "4. reboot with systemd". I'm assuming you
haven't booted with systemd yet (you seemed hesitant to do it); logind
will not work under anything different than systemd. The problem is
not uninstalling or not CK (that doesn't matter after "USE=-consolekit
emerge --newuse world", as you correctly pointed); the problem is that
you need to be running systemd for logind to work.

If logind doesn't work, gdm (and the whole GNOME stack) will acty
strangely, if at all.

>> Strange things will happen if you do.
>> Login via ssh and VT will work as usual.
>
> ssh and VT will be sufficient.

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés