Jason Stubbs schreef:
> On Monday 05 September 2005 04:23, Holly Bostick wrote:
>
>> What I'm surprised at is that no one has said,
>>
>> "Look in /var/cache/edb/virtuals, where you will likely see that
>> Joe is set as (one of) the in-use virtual/editor(s) on your actual
>> system."
>

> /var/cache/edb/virtuals is a relic from 2.0.50. In that big message
> displayed at the end of merging any of the 2.0.51 series that nobody
> reads, it states that virtuals are now calculated on the fly.

So I could delete the whole file without consequence?

And OK, doesn't that mean that someone should submit an enhancement bug
to b.g.o indicating that Portage should check whether you are emerging
*one of* the packages that provides a given virtual, or whether you're
unmerging *the only* package that provides a virtual (similar to the
previous SLOTS issue)?

Maybe it's time to start cleaning up 'big scary messages' that alarm
users unnecessarily (because unmerging Joe in this instance is not going
to break anything, but there are instances where it might, yet the
message does not distinguish one way or another).

Holly