On 27/08/2013 22:19, Jarry wrote:
> On 27-Aug-13 21:59, Alan McKinnon wrote:
>> On 27/08/2013 18:35, Jarry wrote:
>>>
>>> I'd like to stop receiving news, how can I do that?
>>>
>>> Or better said, I'd like to receive gentoo-news only
>>> on one of my 6 servers, and turn this feature off
>>> on remaining 5...
>>

>> It's in the mail headers:
>> <mailto:gentoo-user+unsubscr...@lists.gentoo.org>
>>
>> you would obviously use -news and not -user
>
> I probably did not express myself correctly. What I mean
> is portage-news. News I get sometimes after "emerge --sync".
> Not news-mailinglist...

Ah, that makes more sense ;-)
I *did* wonder why you hadn't thought to read the headers!

from the GLEP:

Users who really don't care about news items can use rsync_excludes to
filter out the metadata/news/ directory.

http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep/glep-0042.html

man 5 make.conf also documents FEATURES=news
Oddly enough, we all know how to enable FEATURES (just add to the list),
but I have no idea how to disable them!

I don't have news in my FEATURES but I do get the newsitems. Is

FEATURES=-news

even valid sysntax?

--
Alan McKinnon