On 9/5/05, Heinz Sporn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Am Montag, den 05.09.2005, 06:38 -0700 schrieb Mark Knecht:
> > Hi,
> >    Is it possible to put Windows XP an a second drive in a Linux box
> > and have Windows be happy?
>
> Should work.
>

> > 1) I'm pretty sure that grub will have no problems with this, correct?
>
> Not really since Windows XP will quite likely overwrite the MBR of the
> bootable partition. I guess you will have to re-install Grub afterwards.
> But I'd say that's harmless.

This is what I want to avoid.

grub and Gentoo are on /dev/hda
Windows will go on /dev/hdc or /dev/hde

I do not want windows to write anything on /dev/hda

I know the no one here can truly guarantee what Windows will do but
there's little point in me doing this work if it's known to overwrite
my main drive..

> > 2) Will Windows be happy if it's the only OS on a non-boot drive?
>
> No Windows version that I know of had ever a problem with that.
>

> >    I've done lots of dual boot machines before but there were always
> > Windows on the main drive and System Commander to get me to Linux. I
> > don't want to use System Commander this time.
>
> What's System Commander? BTW it doesn't make much difference to install
> Windows and Linux the "other way round". As long as you install and
> correctly configure Grub or Lilo afterwards.

System Commander is a Windows and/or DOS-based bootloader. Nice
program with the ability to resize all partitions on the hard drive so
that you can give more or less space to each OS. Makes it easy to have
multiple copies of windows, as well as Linux when I was gettign
started with Linux. Unfortunately it doesn't work with things like
reiserfs, xfs, etc., and it's required to be loaded in a M$ partition.
Since I don't use Windows too much anymore I don't want to go on using
SC.

http://www.v-com.com/product/System_Commander_Home.html

Thanks!

- Mark