Pandu Poluan <pa...@poluan.info> [13-09-03 17:16]:
> On Sep 3, 2013 10:51 AM, "William Kenworthy" <bi...@iinet.net.au> wrote:
> >
> > On 03/09/13 11:26, meino.cra...@gmx.de wrote:
> > > William Kenworthy <bi...@iinet.net.au> [13-09-03 05:08]:
>
> --snip--

> on

> > > Does this error message from fsck indicate that? I am really bad in
> > > guessing what fsck tries to cry at me ... ;)

> found.

> > > Is there any way to correct the settings from the default values to
> > > more advances ones, which respect the sdcard size of 16GB *without*
> > > blanking it...a "correction on the fly" so to say???
> > >
> > > And if not: Is there a way to backup the sdcard and playback the files
> > > after reformatting it by preserving all three time stamps of the
> > > files (atime is deactivated via fstab though) ?
> > >
> > > Best regards,
> > > mcc
> > >

> > df -i - if you get 100% iUSE or near to it thats your problem ... I have
> > seen that error message you give as a result of running out of inodes
> > corrupting the FS.
> >
> > No, your only way out is to copy (I use rync) the files off, recreate
> > the fs with max inodes ("man mke2fs") and rsync the files back.  Once an
> > ext* fs has been created with a certain number of inodes its fixed until
> > you re-format.
> >
> > I get it happening regularly on 4G cards when I forget and just emerge a
> > couple of packages without cleaning up in between packages.  On 16G
> > cards, its compiling something like glibc or gcc that uses huge numbers
> > of inodes at times.  On a single 32G card I have, the standard settings
> > have been fine ... so far :)
> >
> > Billk
> >

> While you're considering of formatting the flash disk, consider also
> whether ext3/4 is suitable.
>
> When I first use Gentoo, I got bitten by inode exhaustion several times, so
> I used an inode-less fs (reiserfs, to be precise).
>
> I have no idea if reiserfs is suitable for a flash disk, though.
>
> Rgds,
> --

Hi Pandu,

ext3/4 is what is recommended by www.beagleboard.org/Robert
Nelson/Angstrom Linux...but I have to confess that took this
as simply "given".

The other thing is: With sdcards one have to keep an eye on
what part of the sdcard is written how often repeatedly, since
sdcards tends to wear out.

I read somewhere on the internet (dont remember where...sorry) that
Samsung has offered code  to the Linux kernel, which implements a
special FS especially suitable and made for sdcards.

But I dont know its name and whether it is already available in
the kernel sources...

Best regards,
mcc