I've looked everywhere for a solution to this problem.

When I try to send an email from kmail I get the
following message:

Sending failed:
Authentication failed. Most likely the password is
wrong. The server responded:
"authorization failed (#5.7.0)"

I can receive emails and I can send them from the
webmail client.  The settings in kmail are correct and
worked fine last week.  I've checked with the service
provider and no settings for the smtp server have been
changed. No one else in the lab is having problems
sending emails.  It seems to me that the problem is in
my laptop.  But I've no clue where to look.  On Friday
I did an emerge --update --deep world, followed by
etc-update (nothing obvious changed) then  emerge
--depclean, revdep-rebuild, but nothing was emerged or
changed that looked like it would affect the network
settings (apart from dhcpcd, but I tried reverting to
the previous version, but it made no difference).
Obviously something did change! But what I don't know.
Last night I redid the whole thing with --newuse to
see if that would fix the problem no joy.

Packages emerged:
gcc-config-1.3.12-r2
gnuconfig-20050602
binutils-config-1.8-r5