On 06/09/2013 18:21, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 6, 2013 at 11:14 AM, Canek Peláez Valdés <can...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Then something got broken because I have packages installed
>>> that need mailer (i.e. app-admin/monit or sys-fs/mdadm are
>>> configured to send emails). And these packages do not have
>>> "mail" use-flag, because their maintainers apparently expect
>>> standard *nix mailer (/usr/bin/sendmail) exists on the system...
>>>
>>> So now I have "stable" system, updated to the latest level,
>>> where a lot of things suddenly do not work. This should *never*
>>> happen! If it was some package's dep that caused it, it's clear
>>> this change was premature...
>>
>> I think is a bug in the packages. In my system the only package that
>> pulls vitual/mta (and therefore ssmtp) is vixie-cron.
>
> The change happened in the cron eclass:
>
> http://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gentoo-x86/eclass/cron.eclass?r1=1.15&r2=1.16
>
> From the commit log: "Per extensive discussion with zmedico about
> removing the need for package.provided, several packages have been
> changed, like sudo, to not explicitly require an mta. Cron will
> follow, leaving mta support optional."
>
> The rationale (I suppose) is that the programs in question still work,
> just the sending of emails fails.
>
> Good riddance, if you ask me. If you need/want an MTA, just install
> ssmtp by hand.

Agreed. It's a bit daft relying on a cron daemon to be the only package
pulling in a mailer. One can't even argue that it makes sense as a
default - cron merely has this feature to notify the root user if a cron
job wrote something to STDOUT.

That's a notification. It is not an absolute need to have sendmail.

If you want a syslogger, install a syslogger.
If you want a print server, install a print server.
Likewise, if you want a mailer, install one.

The days of classic Unix servers representing what a Gentoo system
should be are looooong gone.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com