On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 11:10 AM,  <gottl...@nyu.edu> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 12 2013, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:

>> 96ca4cf1a9c17d73501e232d

>>> I wonder if adding CONFIG_UEVENT_HELPER_PATH="/sbin/hotplug" would
>>> help you here.
>>
>> I don't have that binary.  And some page on my way said the contrary:
>> set it to empty and let udev (?) do that.
>
> The wiki says to have it blank.  I just started working with the
> systemd-wiki people and this is unsettled.  Some are using
> /sbin/hotplug.  I believe there is not much experience to go on.
> I will be trying to go to systemd with /sbin/hotplug.

Do you even have /sbin/hotplug? I don't, in any of my machines, and I
don't even remember when was the last time I saw it.

>From the git live systemd README [1]:

Legacy hotplug slows down the system and confuses udev:
          CONFIG_UEVENT_HELPER_PATH=""

>From the kernel own help file:

config UEVENT_HELPER_PATH
        string "path to uevent helper"
        default ""
        help
         Path to uevent helper program forked by the kernel for
          every uevent.

          Before the switch to the netlink-based uevent source, this was
          used to hook hotplug scripts into kernel device events. It
          usually pointed to a shell script at /sbin/hotplug.
          This should not be used today, because usual systems create
          many events at bootup or device discovery in a very short time
          frame. One forked process per event can create so many processes
          that it creates a high system load, or on smaller systems
          it is known to create out-of-memory situations during bootup.

          To disable user space helper program execution at early boot
          time specify an empty string here. This setting can be altered
          via /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug or via /sys/kernel/uevent_helper
          later at runtime.

Really, whomever is recommending to set CONFIG_UEVENT_HELPER_PATH is
probably wrong. I can't find *one* place where it is recommended, and
several where they explicitly say to leave the option in blank.

Regards.

[1] http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/systemd/tree/README
--
Canek Peláez Valdés