On 09/23/2013 11:46 AM, Joakim Gebart wrote:
2013/9/22 Alexander Kapshuk <alexander.kaps...@gmail.com <mailto:alexander.kaps...@gmail.com>>

    On 09/21/2013 06:32 PM, Al wrote:
    > Bruce Hill wrote:
    >> I have "Use smooth scrolling" checked and no such wavy line
    anywhere.

    > Hmmm....
    >
    > I just tried Firefox, and get the wavy line when "Use smooth
    scolling
    > is checked (scrolling with the mouse wheel). It goes away when
    unchecked.

    > Did the same in Thunderbird, and I don't see the wavy line, no
    matter
    > what the setting.
    >
    > Al

    Having the "Use smooth scrolling" option unchecked in both Firefox and
    Thunderbird seems to have fixed the 'wavy line' problem for me.

    Thanks.

I'm guessing the wavy line that you describe is 'tearing' that appears when the display is not synced to the framebuffer, i.e. "vsync". I believe some of the graphics drivers are not even capable of vsync currently in X11, but I'm not certain.

/JG
That sounds right. I just wasn't sure how to best put it into technical terms.

Thanks.