On 09/29/2013 09:03 PM, Greg Woodbury wrote:
> One of the most obvious things that broke booting with a seperate /usr
> is not GNOMEs fault, but GRUB 2's fault.
>
> the move of /bin to /usr/bin (for things like cp,mv,ln,ls) came after
> the breakage of /usr, but is symptomatic of some distros cavalier
> attitudes to the problem.
>
> /usr/lib/udev.....
> /usr/lib/systemd.....
>
> were both placed in /usr despite objections from a number of folks.
>
> So claims that udev and systemd are not responsible are not true.
>
> /usr/lib/e2initrd-helper was placed in /usr despite objections.
> /usr/lib/libdevmapper* was moved despite objections...
> /usr/lib/liblvm2* helpers were placed in /usr despite objections...
>
> There were deliberate placements of "new" or updated libraries in /usr
> that were known ahead of time that would break the use of a separate
> /usr filesystem.
>
> It was pointed out quite plainly at the time, and the placements were
> made anyway, dismissing the concerns are "mere historical artifacts" or
> "clinging to ancient and outmoded traditions."
>
> The *same things* are still being cited (about being outmoded) in
> dismissing concers about forcing useres to adopt technologies they do
> not want to use.

I agree with you but I think the distinction made on udev and systemd is
that their *upstreams* didn't suggest they go in /usr. I don't know for
sure since I don't follow systemd and frankly detest it, but if they
said systemd and udev belong in /bin or somesuch, then they can't be
held responsible. The responsibility for that decision falls on the
maintainers, but it's compounded by the dependencies of systemd/udev.
They depend on dbus, which resides in /usr. Was that an upstream
decision or a distro decision? If we follow this dependency tree of /usr
moves, which package was the first to migrate to /usr and begin this
problem? The move to /usr was a social one that started years ago, not a
technical decision made this year. The issue right now is damage control
and, for some, maybe taking a good look at the FHS and deciding what
really makes sense.