On Mon, 30 Sep 2013 21:31:18 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> > I'm soaking up a lot of your time (again).  I'll return with any real
> > Gentoo questions I run into and to run down the final plan before I
> > execute it.  Thanks so much for your help.  Not sure what I'd do
> > without you. :)
>
> I'm sure Neil would step in if I'm hit by a bus
> He'd say the same things, and use about 1/4 of the words it takes me ;-)

So far in this thread, I've managed about 0/4 of the words you've used...
Oh damn!

But yes, a build host and adding --usepkg=y to EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS in
make.conf gives a massive speed increase. Run the build host in an easily
recovered environment, like a VM, and you don't even have to monitor the
world update on it, just run a script in the early hours that does emerge
--sync && emerge -uXX @world and check your mailbox for errors before
running emerge on the "clients". The use clusterssh or dsh to update them
all at once.

--
Neil Bothwick

Q. How many radical feminists does it take to change a light bulb?
A. Two - one to change the bulb and one to write a book about the passive
role of the socket.