On 12/10/2013 03:51, gottl...@nyu.edu wrote:
> The lvm handbook addendum is no longer and we are instead to use
> the software raid + lvm2 quick install guide.
>
> That guide makes a few partitions of type linux raid and then puts lvm
> on a mirrored set (more is done).
>
> I wasn't using raid so skipped that step and wound up with
> one partition as a pv in my single vg and created several lvs in that
> vg.
>
> So far so good.  But I realized that the single partition that I used
> was of type linux instead of linux lvm as I had always done when
> following the lvm handbook addendum.
>
> So what, I've made plenty of mistakes before, and will surely make
> plenty more later.
>
> But the resulting system works perfectly!
>
> If this is risky; I can reinstall.  But I wonder if any action is
> necessary.
>
> What do you think?
> allan

partition type is mostly meaningless, useful only to document your
intent. It's something MS-DOS made use of, everything else not so much.

Some software packages may read the type attribute and make their own
decisions based on that, but for the most part stuff just works, as you
found.

It makes so much more sense for software to examine the partition
itself, or read the signature it left at the beginning of the partition
to find out what it is, rather than relying on some weird arcane flag
set somewhere else.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com