shawn wilson <ag4ve...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 4, 2013 at 5:58 PM, Michael Orlitzky <mich...@orlitzky.com> wrote:
>

>> 1. The iptables-restore syntax is uglier and harder to read.
>
> I don't get this - the syntax is [...]
> What am I missing or how is this uglier?

Argument separation (e.g. if you have arguments with spaces);
it seems to work most of the time if you quote into "..."
and escape backslash and doublequote signs inside with
backslash (this is what the mentioned script of firewall-mv
does), but there are cases where this is not accepted;
e.g. quoting every word was not accepted.
Since the format is undocumented, this is all ugly
trial-and-error, and only the iptable maintainers know
whether it remains the same in the next iptables release.