Holly Bostick <motub <at> planet.nl> writes:

> If you're trying to learn, James, there is something to be said for
> Dave's position; it's not as if the config files are going to disappear
> just because you used shorewall to write them with correct settings.

Following this example, I've had no problems, only it did not
include the DMZ portion of the example. I looked at Shorewall. No thanks.

> It might be easier to understand how iptables works if you configure it
> through a system that will do it properly, *then* look at the configured
> rules and work out why they work (as opposed to what your self-made
> rules do), rather than wait to have a working configuration until you've
> understood iptables (which is apparently not really easy for most
> everybody).

Hey, it took me quite a long time to digest OpenBSD +pf and other tools.
That's OK, even fantastic. It's what I want to do. Struggle, learn,
make little mods and test the results.....

If I need immediate coverage, I have a OpenBSD +pf box that is fantastic,
because I took the time to learn. If shorewall is so easy, then just email
to me the config files for a 3 nic network, with DMZ based web server,
and only internally (LAN) initiated connections allowed, in the form
of config files, OK?

I'm quite sure I'll master iptables/netfilter, the commnand line and
config file way.........the old fashion, hard-headed way.

YMMY

James