On 2013-09-26 14:42, Peter Weilbacher wrote:
On one of my machines, I get continuous beeping from the internal
loudspeaker when I boot a newer kernel (I'm using vanilla-sources). I
first had that with 3.10.8 and also with 3.10.10, and it continues
with 3.11.1.
[...]
In the meantime I left the machine on long enough to discover that it
stops beeping whenever it is idle long enough and blanks the display.

Well, this is embarrassing: Since this began I switched the machine on even less often than before, but yesterday I found out by chance that the sound did not come from the internal speaker but from the speakers built into my screen. Now I traced it to the snd-hda-intel kernel module (noise there if loaded, sound gone when removed with |modprobe -r|).

Why was the sound never heard on bootup in 3.8.x kernels but is starting with 3.10.1?

   Peter.

P.S.: At least now I know that the easy workaround is to tune the (hardware) speaker volume down to 0...