On 11/03/2013 02:27 AM, Daniel Campbell wrote:
> On 11/02/2013 02:06 PM, Alexander Kapshuk wrote:

>>> Ah, I wasn't aware that it wasn't a supported thing. Good points; the
>>> testing necessary to support mixed systems is more than any dev team
>>> could handle realistically. I mix and match, but only for a select few
>>> packages that simply don't have a stable version.
>>>
>>> Alex: In order to get ~arch vlc, you had to put vlc in your
>>> package.accept_keywords file. Try removing that to go back to the stable
>>> build and see if that corrects things. If not, then I agree with Alan
>>> and you should probably make the big decision of stable or testing.
>>>
>> Thanks very much for your responses to my original query.
>>
>> What I did do prior to getting your responses was try and resolve the
>> dependency conflict as shown below.
>>
>> (1). I added '=net-libs/gnutls-3.2.5 ~x86' and
>> '=media-video/ffmpeg-1.2.4 ~x86' to package.accept_keywords:
>> box0=; egrep 'gnutls|ffmpeg' /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords
>> =net-libs/gnutls-3.2.5 ~x86
>> =media-video/ffmpeg-1.2.4 ~x86
>> (2). I then updated 'media-video/ffmpeg' to version
>> 'media-video/ffmpeg-1.2.4', like so:
>> emerge --ask '>media-video/ffmpeg-1.0.7'
>> !!! existing preserved libs:
>>  *  - /usr/lib/libavutil.so.51
>>  *  - /usr/lib/libavutil.so.51.73.101
>>  *      used by /usr/bin/mencoder (media-video/mplayer-1.1.1-r1)
>>  *      used by /usr/bin/mplayer (media-video/mplayer-1.1.1-r1)
>>  *      used by /usr/lib/vlc/plugins/codec/libavcodec_plugin.so
>> (media-video/vlc-2.0.9)
>>  *      used by /usr/lib/vlc/plugins/demux/libavformat_plugin.so
>> (media-video/vlc-2.0.9)
>> Use emerge @preserved-rebuild to rebuild packages using these libraries
>> (3). I then pulled in the other updates:
>> emerge --ask --update --deep --with-bdeps=y --newuse world
>> (4). Rebuilt the preserved libs as recorded in
>> /var/lib/portage/preserved_libs_registry
>> emerge --ask @preserved-rebuild
>>
>> So far, the whole system seems to be running OK.
>>
>> It did occur to me afterwards, like Alan and Daniel suggested, that
>> mixing stable and unstable packages was not a good idea.
>>
>> I put vlc ~x86 in package.keywords as instructed here,
>> http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-gentoo.html.
>> box0=; cat /etc/portage/package.keywords
>> media-video/vlc ~x86
>>
>> Turns out, it wasn't such a good idea after all.
>>
>> What would I have to do to downgrade vlc, gnutls and ffmpeg to the
>> stable versions of the packages?
>> I guess I'd have to remove their respective entries from
>> /etc/portage/package.(accept)_keywords.
>> box0=; cat /etc/portage/package.keywords
>> media-video/vlc ~x86
>> box0=; cat /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords
>> =net-im/skype-4.2.0.11-r1 ~x86
>> =sys-devel/gettext-0.18.3.1-r1 ~x86
>> =net-libs/gnutls-3.2.5 ~x86
>> =media-video/ffmpeg-1.2.4 ~x86
>>
>> How would I instruct emerge to do that properly?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

> Well, if you don't mind managing the dependencies of an ~arch vlc, then
> [...]
Thanks for the pointers.

As far as why I have gettext keyworded goes, it must have been suggested
by emerge as I was updating something at some stage.

Looking at the output of 'equery depends --indirect sys-devel/gettext',
among other things there is this entry:
media-video/vlc-2.1.0 (>=sys-devel/gettext-0.18.3:0).

I should probably remove the corresponding line for gettext from the
keywords file as well to stick to stable packages as much as possible.

What about skype? Does it have to be in the keywords file as well? From
memory, I put it there as instructed on the gentoo wiki page.

Thanks.