I enjoy KDE, especially since the atomic builds were introduced. The full KDE is so full of - for my needs - completely useless junk, that I've kept away from it. The bloatedness of KDE atomic is quite acceptable for me. Also, I'm pretty satisfied with the eye-candy. Useability wise, for me, KDE is "better" than Gnome, which I've tried very hard to like.

I wanted to like Gnome, and was excited by the new release (what is standard now - I've forgotten the version number) but the dialog boxes for Open File etc simply made me throw it out. Add to that the main KDE killer Evolution went from the Outlook layout to something else, and Kontact took its place. (The organisation of data is the only think I like in Outlook).

I've played with other WM/DEs as well. On RedHat I used WindowMaker and on Gentoo I've played with Enlightenment E16/E17 a bit. When the urge comes over me to be "Unixy" I use E. It was some time ago though.

The main problem I feel is that lots of apps are written for a specific WM rather than a generic non-WM/DE-dependent API. Which makes the entire desktop look like bits and pieces the cat draged home (run Gimp, Kontact and Scid under KDE and you'll know what I mean). There was (is?) a setting in KDE to force *some* apps to bend to the theme of KDE, but that was buggy when I tried it last time.