staticsafe wrote:
> On 11/10/2013 16:38, Dale wrote:
>> Howdy,
>>
>> I have noticed something that really bugs me.  I sometimes have a few
>> Firefox sessions running.  I do this because I have to be logged into a
>> website with more than one user/password.  Here is my issue.  If I click
>> the X box to close a session of Firefox, it doesn't seem to kill the
>> process.  I end up having to go to a Konsole and killing the process
>> with either the kill command or pkill.  Naturally, all the processes are
>> named Firefox so I can't tell one from the other.  That leads to me
>> killing the wrong one at times.
>>
>> My question is this, why does Firefox not kill its processes as it
>> should?  When I click the X and it closes, it should kill the process
>> right?  When it does not kill correctly and I try to restart that
>> session, I get the error that the session is already running.
>>
>> This has been going on for a while.  What can I look for or do to
>> correct this?
>>
>> Also, after large updates, I go to the boot runlevel, kill any processes
>> that shouldn't be running, then go back to default runlevel.  Sometimes,
>> I have to kill quite a few processes to get a clean list.  While this is
>> not just a Firefox issue, it is just the one that gets in the way the
>> most.  It seems there is a underlying issue somewhere and Firefox is
>> just one symptom.
>>
>> Anyone have thoughts on this?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> :-)  :-)
>>
> What version of Firefox? What addons (if any) do you use with Firefox?
>
> I have this problem except it is with Thunderbird (on Windows).

Oh good heavens.  I have lots of add ons installed.  It would take me a
while to list them all, heck, just to get a list much list post them
here.  lol  I recall abduction, tab utilities, last pass off the top of
my head.  However, I have a test session that has very very few add ons
and it does the same way.  Also, I run into this with other processes as
well.  It seems to me that some package or the kernel is not killing
processes as it should.  I just don't know what that is.

Also, I forgot to mention, I run into this with Seamonkey as well.  I
only have two sessions for it but don't use the 2nd one to much.  While
a bit aggravating, it is no big deal to kill the right one on it since I
usually only have one session running anyway.

So, while it is Firefox that is buggin me, it's not only Firefox.  I
think this could be a deeper issue.  It could even be a KDE bug.  I
dunno.  I know when I go to boot runlevel, I have to kill quite a few
processes that are pretty stubborn to kill.  kill -15 usually doesn't
work so I end up using -9 to get it to die.

Thoughts?

Dale

:-)  :-)

--
I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how
you interpreted my words!