On 2013-11-15 5:18 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com> wrote:
On 15/11/2013 23:58, Tanstaafl wrote:
Now, the question is, what the heck is thin-provisioning in lvm2, am I
using it, and if not, do I need it?

I'm pretty sure I'm not using it, but how to be sure?

Google for "thin-provisioning+in+lvm2", first three hits.

In a nutshell, you can define an LV without actually allocating the
storage yet that you are not using, it gets allocated "on demand" if you
will.

It's similar in concept to the general idea behind sparse files, lazy
initialization, fixed size vs dynamically allocated disks for VMs and do
on: allocate a resource only when you need it.

This lets you over-commit storage space as much of it is not being used
in practice.

If you use thin provisioning, you already know it. There are steps you
must take to put it to use.

Thanks Alan...

But fyi, my last questions were more just me talking to myself... of course my google-fu is fairly strong, and like you I found all of my answers this morning when I searched...

I chose not to use thin provisioning in vmWare because I just don't like the idea... maybe irrational, because I do see the advantages.

I'd be curious to learn if anyone here uses it with lvm, and what their experience has been - especially, are there any gotcha's to watch out for?

But for now, to rebuild my kernels without lvm thin provisioning (it is enabled) and emerge -C thin-provisioning-tools...