On Sat, 7 Dec 2013 11:47:41 +0000
Mick <michaelkintz...@gmail.com> wrote:

> tomorrow I could end up *having* to install
> systemd or whatever RHL and their developers have deemed appropriate
> for your average desktop system.

They don't have control over the dependencies in packages and
distributions they don't own though; so, for them to be listed as a
dependency goes a long way.

I think that for most packages in the Portage tree there is a large
enough chain of dependencies between the package and systemd such that
one can always avoid having to install systemd. But we're not there and
I think we will never be there, because systemd is not often listed as
a dependency (only on ~2 or so GNOME packages?) compared to something
like ncurses that is listed all over the place...

--
With kind regards,

Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
Gentoo Developer

E-mail address  : tom...@gentoo.org
GPG Public Key  : 6D34E57D
GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2  ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D