On Monday 09 Dec 2013 18:29:46 Grant Edwards wrote:
> My routine more-or-less weekly update suddenly decided that it needed
> to install 3 versions of Ruby along with ~50 other ruby-related
> packages.  This caused a bit of a problem, since those versions of Ruby
> can't coexist: (something to do with tk and threads).
>
> I've never had Ruby installed before, and after some digging around, I
> finally tracked it down to two things:
>
> gnome-terminal->nautilus->webkit->ruby
> multipath-tools->thin-provisioning-tools->ruby
>
> These both seem to be new dependancies.
>
> After uninstalling gnome-terminal, multipath-tools, and
> thin-provisioning-tools all is good (the update proceding sans Ruby).
>
> I understand that sometimes a maintainer decides to add a feature that
> requires some new dependancies, but why three different versions of
> Ruby all of a sudden?

I found the same a few days ago, but didn't have the energy to sort out the
mess. Just now I ran:

$ sudo emerge -c dev-lang/ruby:1.8 dev-lang/ruby:1.9 dev-lang/ruby:2.0 json
racc rake rdoc rubygems thin-provisioning-tools =virtual/rubygems-1
=virtual/rubygems-4 =virtual/rubygems-6

I'll reboot now and see if lvm2 can still mount my LVM partitions since I
recompiled it without thin  :-)

(Later: it can!)

--
Regards