On Sunday 29 Dec 2013 01:38:57 Edward M wrote:

> > So maybe KDE is pulling in something.
>
>        I guess I will continue using
>       claws-mail,since i only send text emails.
>        Thanks for new options i was not aware.

I'm guessing that KDE uses phonon to play sound notifications, e.g. when you
get a  new message in your kmail Inbox, which requires gstreamer and friends.

Kmail does not play anything inside messages.  When you click on an attachment
it will ask you to save it or open it with the default application, depending
on the mime type of the attachment.

--
Regards,
Mick