Arturo 'Buanzo' Busleiman schreef:
> Holly Bostick wrote:
>
>>> Direct from tv? Use avidemux or any video editing program to get
>>>  rid of the commercials then.
>

> Not direct from tv. The people who record (with cameras) and then
> join the pieces provide this file. I can't do that. The producer
> asked me to do this transformation. And, indeed, they've done it
> before, but to wmv format. They stream the program online:
>
> broadband: mms://200.80.72.153/dd24_2005.wmv dialup:
> mms://200.80.72.153/dd24_2005baja.wmv
>

>>> And in any case, the file was definitely saved to digital format
>>>  with the intention to convert and burn to PAL DVD; you don't
>>> just get 720x504 and 25fps by accident.
>

> Yeah, I agree. but it still has no menues :P - If I could put it
> available for any of you to help me out with this, I'd do it. But
> 4.5gb...
>

>>> But you still haven't said why the final output file has to be so
>>>  small.
>

> To be shared over bittorrent :P

Ummmm.... people share full DVD- size files over BT all the time. If
it's an issue of not wanting to seed for the length of time it would
take to get more seeders, well, then don't share over BT, because you
'have to' do that, no matter how big the file is.

And heaven knows I wouldn't be happy with the file I got (a full DVD
shrunk to 100MB), even if it only took me half an hour rather than 2 days.

Or is the issue that the vendor doesn't want people to have to wait for
2 days to get the file? I'm not sure that's reasonable; it's BT (so
people are used to it not being instantaneous downloading), and this is,
after all, a full-quality file that is (almost) ready to burn to DVD. If
that's what the expected customers want, then they'll likely be willing
to wait.

You might consider offering two versions; 'low-quality' (reduced to
something like 320xwhatever), and 'high(er)-quality' (at either the
original A/R, or a slightly lower one).

Or you might consider buying a proprietary encoding system (Real, OT),
or installing Windows (or Windows under VMWare), for the express purpose
of getting these files down to some tiny size (you're presumably getting
paid, so it's a business expense).

But there's no explicit reason as far as BT is concerned, that you can't
share the file as is.

Rar or Tar.gz or zip the file up and share it, or encode it down to an
xvid (which will likely reduce the size at least somewhat, but anybody
correct me if I'm wrong) and *then* rar/tar.gz/zip it up and share it.

I think you're trying to solve the wrong problem-- your actual problem
is not that the file is 'too big' but it is in some way too big for you
to work with in the way that you seem to need to, for reasons unknown
(insofar as there is no bt-specific reason that a 4.5 GB file cannot be
shared, but there clearly is a you-specific reason that you can't do
this, presumably that your client has specified these restrictions).

Holly